IT training Herefordshire – how do you create a pivot table and chart? Find out how this week below…
One of the most useful and powerful features companies can use in Excel is the ability through Pivot Tables to analyse and summarise data. We deliver the following training locally:
- IT Training Warwickshire
- IT Training Worcestershire
- IT Training Gloucestershire
- IT Training Herefordshire
We also train IT in other counties and always seek to provide the essential skills in Excel and there’s no better way to analyse data in Excel than through a Pivot Table so… Firstly, what is a Pivot Table and Chart and secondly how simple is it to create one?
It is really important to set up your list with details of the transactions in a certain way. Follow these rules and it’s a great start:
- All your data on 1 sheet (even months/years as it’s very easy to filter by month/year)
- Row 1 to contain field column headings: all different and not too long
- Rows 2 onwards with no blank rows and no blank columns to contain your transaction data
- No merge cells anywhere
Pivot Table layout
Once you have your Pivot Table again follow these steps:
- Fill in the 4 boxes at the bottom right of your screen which allow you to design the PT with column/rows/filters and at least 1 value. The value may well be a quantity/sales value/product margin etc.
- Drag and drop these fields (this is simple to do) until you are happy with the layout
- Use Slicers to make filtering of the data easy
Below is a video which takes you through a live example of how to create both a Pivot Table and then a Pivot Chart
Once you have these in place it’s a case of updating your transaction data and updating the data source so that the PT takes on board the latest data.
We have delivered Excel training courses in Worcestershire and Herefordshire recently where Pivot Tables have made a major impact on the efficiency of those businesses.
For all details of our Excel courses and details of IT training Herefordshire as well as the other counties we train in, please visit our web site here or phone us 07903 840105.
Also visit our blog page for other hints and tips.